If you’re looking for a Project Runway alum with edge and drive, Melissa Fleis is your woman. A finalist from season ten, and a competitor on All Stars season three, she plays with leather, angle and line, often accented with pops of color. She likes her black, but she’s not afraid to think outside of the little black box that some designers can get trapped in. Melissa uses color wisely, whether it’s to accent her desired silhouette, or to draw attention to details. She’s a badass, sexy woman, and when we look at her clothes, that’s who we envision wearing them. We caught up with Melissa, getting her fashion hustle on from San Francisco, and she shared more details about what’s up-and-coming in her fashionable world. Before we give too much away, we’ll let her tell you in her own words.
HOW MELISSA FLEIS MAKES IT WORK
1. Who are you, and what season/s did you participate in?
Melissa Fleis, fashion designer based in San Francisco. I was a finalist on Project Runway Season 10, and designer on Project Runway All Stars Season 3.
2. Please give a brief description of your design style.
3. What was the most challenging thing about the Project Runway experience BESIDES the challenges themselves?
The most challenging thing for me was time management. I always found myself working until the final seconds before the runway.
4. Who have you met or worked with during or since the Project Runway experience that you are most proud of or excited about?
5. What are you currently working on or excited about professionally?
I continue to work on my own collections, as well as, custom orders, and designing uniforms for a new Kimpton restaurant in San Francisco. Hustling to make this all work!
6. Besides the basics, what sewing notion or tool could you NEVER do without?
7. Is there anything else you’d like us to know or see?